No one plans on having a car accident, but it’s a good idea to have a plan in case you do. After a car accident, your life often turns to chaos. You don’t know what you should do first or what steps you should take. All your plans just go out the window.
But there’s a way you can make a big difference in your case at the scene, using something that most people always carry with them: the cell phone.
Here are some of the ways you can gather evidence just by using your cell phone in an Ormond Beach car accident:
- Dialing 911. Of course making calls is the most useful feature of a cell phone. But many of today’s new smart phones carry apps that timestamp the calls, record conversations, and save them to your phone.
- Photographs. Cameras are now standard features on cell phones, saving traffic accident victims from having to keep a camera in the vehicle’s emergency kit. Using your cell phone, it’s simple to take pictures of the vehicle damage, vehicle placement, and weather and road conditions at the scene.
- Video recording. Your phone’s video offers a full picture of the accident scene, with the bonus of recording people’s manner, actions and voices directly after the crash. Record as much video as you can, zooming in on damage and other significant features.
- Digital Notepads. Forget about digging through your car for a pen and paper as most smart phones have note-taking features. Record the necessary names, phone numbers and addresses using your phone’s keypad, making sure that you’ll be able to read it clearly later. However, if your phone doesn’t have this feature, you can add all the details you need under a new contact in your phone’s address book.
- Recording Voices. If the crash scene is too dark for pictures, or if you are too shaky to type, use this feature of your phone. After you call 911, you should record the events including any witness accounts. Make sure you have people record their names, too.
As experienced Ormond Beach auto accident attorneys, Zimmet & Zimmet know that while you’re recovering from your accident at home with your family and thinking about your vehicle’s damages, your insurance company will be thinking of ways to avoid paying your claim. We will assist you in holding the other driver accountable for the injuries you’ve sustained and getting you the compensation you deserve.
For more on safe driving issues, see the library of articles by Ormond car accident lawyer or call Zimmet & Zimmet (386) 255-6400.