Proudly Serving Volusia
& Flager Counties

Since 1985

386.255.6400

What Is MRSA?

What Is MRSA?

A: MRSA is the reason we should not use antibiotics unless we absolutely need to and the reason why antibacterial soap is so dangerous. Our overuse of antibiotics has led some strains of bacteria to become resistant and immune to certain antibiotic medicines.

MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a bacteria that can be found in human nostrils and has become immune to common antibiotics. It is a strain of the common bacteria that causes staph infections.

MRSA is most commonly found and most problematic in hospitals where patients often suffer from compromised immune systems and open wounds that allow easy entry points for MRSA bacteria.

Healthy people often carry MRSA on their skin and in their nose without any infection. Symptoms occur when the bacteria enters the blood stream through wounds or gets past a seriously compromised immune system.

MRSA usually first appears as small red bumps that resemble pimples, spider bites, or boils that may be accompanied by fever and occasionally rashes. Within a few days the bumps become larger, more painful, and eventually open into deep, pus-filled boils.

If on the other hand, MRSA infects vital organs, widespread bodily infection can occur called sepsis in addition to toxic shock syndrome, infective endocarditis (which affects the valves of the heart) and even flesh-eating pneumonia which are all very serious and even deadly conditions.

Diagnosis of MRSA should be completed rapidly as the disease can progress to serious stages within days. While MRSA is immune to many antibiotics, Vancomycin and teicoplanin can successfully treat MRSA infections.


More Testimonials